…even when we’re looking to the future.
The Great Gatsby has always been one of my favorite reads. You really can’t go wrong with a heartbreaking tale of illicit opulence set in the roaring twenties. That plot, thick with parties, also lends itself quite well to… parties. Like, for instance, Sunday River’s New Year’s Eve fête at the Peak Lodge. Yessir, it’s Gatsby themed. There’s going to be sumptuous food and the champagne glasses will bubble right over with extravagant intoxicant. It’s gonna be grand. It may or may not be too late to nab a seat at dinner, but there’s pa-lenty of room for revelers who appear at the Chondola post-10 p.m.. (Talk about arriving in style.) Anyway, should you decide to join us (and you really should), here are nine ways to maximize your Gatsby New Year’s Eve:
- Ride the Chondola with a clarinet in tow. Jazz that joint up.
- Dress to the nines: Bow ties and jewels make eating, dancing, and making out more fun.
- Tell the ossified sap who’s eyeing your doll’s gams to scram ’cause he’s giving her the heebie-jeebies. Just do it. It’ll totally work. Especially if you’re trying to woo her.
- Roll your own cigarettes. In hundreds, baby! (And then throw ’em away. Smoking was still bad for you in the ’20s–even if they didn’t know it yet.)
- The answer is always “Baloney!”
- Make all of your purchases on credit.
- Remind yourself how fortunate you are to be living in a prohibition-less era…
- …See what happens when you order a Tuxedo No. 2.
- AND HOW! (Say it loud, say it proud.)
If you’re looking for further inspiration, check out our Gatsby board on Pinterest.